A kalimba is a simple handmade musical instrument. The soft, mellow sounds from a kalimba make it an ideal instrument for relaxation. Because it is such an easy instrument to learn how to play, it makes a great educational tool if you’re teaching someone about music.
- Within a short period of time, you can impress your friends with music.
- It’s a great way to reduce tension, after a tough day
- You can carry it anywhere
It takes time to master, but with regular practice, you’ll be sounding like a pro.
Which model is the best kalimba to buy?
If this is your first kalimba, we have created a quick pick list below, together with product reviews.
Our Pick Of The Best Kalimba To Buy.
- JDR kalimba 17 Keys Piano.
- UNOKKI Kalimba 17 Keys thumb piano.
- Apelila 17 Key Kalimba Thumb Piano.
In comparison with others, we feel this model is the best for design and style. It provides a luxurious feel and an attractive design. Made from high-end mahogany, the robust body produces a wonderful resonance. It’s a lovely feeling you get while playing the instrument.
- Hand made
- High quality
- Wonderful sound
- Waterproof carrying case
- Study design
- It’s so perfect. I can’t find any cons in it.
- High-quality Materials: Handmade with high-quality mahogany and ore steel bars, giving you a better sense of hearing, vision and touch.
- Wonderful Sound: Without any music basis, you just move your thumb to get the wonderful music that delights your day long.Applicable: The best instrument for performance, recording, family, outdoor, school, party, and relaxation.
- Study Guidance: With our professionally produced kalimba learning booklet, it introduces the use and performance method of kalimba in detail.QR Code to watch our video to learn as we guide you and communicate with you
- Security Protection: EVA kalimba boxes can effectively protect kalimba regardless of performance or collection, preventing moisture, oxidation, scratches, falling, waterproofing and very easy to carry.
- After-sales Service: 365 days warranty, 45 days unconditional return guarantee. If you have any questions or demanding advice on musical instruments, please feel free to contact us.
This is our 2nd choice. It is known as westernized kalimbas. It’s made from solid mahogany wood. The crisper sound is made from manganese steel.
A well-designed inlay is situated around the sound-hole. Its sound-hole is smaller than many others but still makes a fantastic sound.
It also comes with protective gear and waterproof.
- Hand-made tool.
- Good in build quality.
- Bright tone.
- Sharp sound.
- Cheaper price.
- The note indicator is small.
- Hardly to see that. (But read sign helps to understand).
- Solid Mahogany and Adamant Ore Metal Keys - In contrast to the low in price plywood, The JDR kalimb sound box is handcrafted made of 100% solid mahogany and the manganese steel keys, made the sound more clean and warm, better toughness and flexibility.
- International standard C tune and 3 range- D(2), B(7), G(5), E(3), C(1), A(6), F(4), D(2), C(1), E(3), G(5), B(7), D(2), F(4), A(6), C(1), E(3). Small size pocket piano , portable for performance, recording, family, outdoor, school, party, and relaxation.
- Easy Operation - Even without music foundation or operational experience, you can easily get great music based on the music book .Also the keys are engraved with letters and notes, more convenient than other stickers notes thumb piano.
- Security Protection and Portable - Specially EVA waterproof kalimba case efficacious to protect kalimba, easy carrying and storage. And preventing moisture, oxidation, scratches, falling.
- JDR Policy - Package include Kalimba, EVA Case and Cloth Bag, Music Score, Tuning Hammer, Red and Green Stickers, Letter and Number Stickers; 90 days no reason to refund, 180 days replacement .We are always working to optimize our product quality and user experience, for any possible defective products, just contact us in time and we will try our best to solve your problem.
This one is less expensive and good for the lower budget. Decent, Unique, Elegant, Well finishing at a low price. These 17 keys note to start from C to E. In western style.
It helps the user to play without having music knowledge. A person who will hold this can feel carved details on it.
A traditional inlay makes the look classic around the sound-hole.
- Best at a low price.
- Solid mahogany body finish.
- Carving details.
- It comes with some useful accessories.
- Complex behavior.
- Need time to understand.
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIALS. Solid wood and delicate tine metal. Solid Okoume can show in color from medium chocolate brown to reddish brown with an oily appearance under illumination, that will amaze you!
- BEAUTIFUL SOUND & CURVED NOTES. All seventeen keys / tines sound perfect, can play a very wide range of music: pop, folk, rock, African, classical, carols. The keys are engraved with notes, more convenient than other stickers notes thumb piano.
- EASY TO PLAY & WIDE USE. English manual book, songbook help you tune and play this finger piano easily. I can recommend it for virtually anyone - for kids, beginners, for advanced players and for professionals.
- PORTABLE & INTERNATIONAL STANDARD C TUNE. 17 keys / notes: 1(D), 2(B), 3(G), 4(E), 5(C5), 6(A), 7(F), 8(D), 9(C4), 10(E), 11(G), 12(B), 13(D), 14(F), 15(A), 16(C), 17(E). Small lovely piano, portable for performance, recording, family, outdoor, school, party, and relaxation.
- For any reason you are not 100% happy with your African kalimba, in 90 days you can just send it back for a full refund at no additional cost. We value our customers and want you to enjoy a pleasant shopping experience!
It’s a colorful kalimba. It comes in a variety of colors and styles. It looks different but their build quality is the same. All the 17 thumb notes are made from good quality carbon steel.
It tunes to C standard tuning. It’s an ideal gift for your loved one.
It comes with accessories such as a tuning hammer, thumb protectors, stickers, carrying bag, and user guide.
- Well manufactured
- Beautiful design
- The sharp and loud sound
- Low price
- No cons have been found.
- Customers’ feedback is 4.8.
- High-quality Materials: Handmade with high-quality mahogany and ore steel bars, giving you a better sense of hearing, vision and touch.
- Made by solid mahogany resonance boxand and carbon steel keys, to make sure the sound is better.
- Easy to use, you just need to use two thumbs play to make a great sound
- Please kindly feel free to contact us if you have any question or you need suggestions about musical instruments.
For the smooth cutaway, this is one that made our list. It is decorated with an elegant inlay and comes with 17 strong stainless steel tines or keys.
It also comes with a decent portable carrying bag with a tuning bag.
- Air-dried Koa kalimba.
- The smooth hand rests.
- Reasonable price.
- Easy to use.
- It needs some adjustments.
- Rigorous Raw Materials Selection: 17 keys Kalimba thumb piano is handcrafted with high-quality material and ore steel bars. Natural air-dried wood provides ethereal timbre, which is a wonderful match with the natural wood grain.
- Embossed Notes & Hand-rest Curve Design: The keys are embossed with letters and notes, different from other stickers notes finger piano. Hand-rest Curve Design is to the correct angle ergonomically.
- Easy To Play: 5 minutes to learn a song. After you placed your order, you will receive the play guidance and tips to play a song easily in 5 minutes. Suitable for beginners, kids, and professionals.
- Product Includes: thumb piano, tune hammer, instruction book, stickers, flannelette bag, cleaning fabric. Contact us to get an additional electronic songbook for free!
- GUARANTEE & WARRANTY: 60 days warranty, 60 days unconditional return guarantee. If you are not satisfied with the musical instruments, please feel free to contact us at any time.
How does a kalimba sound?
Is the Kalimba easy to learn?
A is an easy-to-use, relaxing musical instrument that originated from Africa. It has different names in different places. You might know it as kalimba, mbira, or a kalimba thumb piano. Its resonance is achieved by vibrations in the soundbox as the metal tines are plucked with the thumbs.
Although the structure of a kalimba instrument is small, it has a distinct construction. Its body is made of wood to form a hollow box, namely the resonance box. There are two strips of wood on this box – one upper and one lower. There is also a metal strip, called the bridge, between the two wooden strips to help condense the vibrations. These are the three components that fix the metal tines firmly on the wooden box.
We can classify a kalimba in two different types based on how it resonates sound: resonance box type and board type.
1. GETTING STARTED.
The first step of learning to play the kalimba is understanding how to hold it properly. Hold the kalimba from the sides in the palm of your hands, placing your thumbs on the tines. The index finger could be placed gently on the sides for support.
After learning the correct way to hold a kalimba, the manner in which to use the thumbs to pluck the tines must be emphasized. The fingernails play a crucial role in playing the kalimba. Many kalimba performance skills cannot be achieved with using fingernails, or thumb picks.
For practicing and performing, we first use the flesh at the fingertips to touch the tine, then slide the finger down quickly to pluck the time with the nail or pick. The kalimba can only produce accurate and beautiful tones if the correct method of plucking tines is followed.
Before you can start playing the kalimba, it is important to ensure that it is in tune, much like a guitar. You can then practice or play your own tunes using chords and notes. When you are sufficiently familiar with playing the kalimba, you can move on to more complex kalimba music by understanding and reading the tablature.
2. TUNING THE KALIMBA.
If your kalimba is brand new or has been played for months without tuning, chances are that it will be out of tune. Here are the steps you need to follow to tune your kalimba:
2.1. Purchase or download a tuner.
You can download a tuning app on your phone, or buy a guitar tuner from the local store. Both of these work quite similarly. Once you play the note on your kalimba, the tuner will let you know if the pitch needs to be higher, or lower, or is just right.
2.2. Use a Kalimba Key Chart.
Most kalimbas will come with a note key chart on the purchase. It can be in the form of a separate illustration or the notes can be engraved on the wooden body itself. If not, you can easily look online for one that matches your kalimba. Once you have the key chart, understand which note corresponds to which time to help you tune the kalimba.
2.3. Pluck the center tine.
Now we come to the actual attuning’ part of this section. Start by plucking the central tine and refer to the note on the tuner. If the note is not the same as the one mentioned in the key charts, proceed to either of the next two steps.
You will need a tuning hammer to get the kalimba in tune and ready for playing.
If the note is too flat, tap the tine upward.
If the note is flatter than what is required of the time, gently tap the bottom of the tine upward to raise the tine and note. Pluck it again to check what note it now produces. Continue to make little adjustments until the tuner reads the perfect note.
If the note is sharper.
If the note is sharper than what is required of the time, gently tap the top of the tine downward to lower the tine and note. Pluck it again to check what note it now produces. Continue to make little adjustments until the tuner reads the perfect note.
Tune all the other tines.
Once you have the central tine perfectly in tune, proceed to tune all the other tines in a similar manner. When the tuner reads the precise notes for all tines, you’re all set to start learning and playing the kalimba.
3. PLAYING NOTES AND CHORDS ON A KALIMBA.
We can only build a solid foundation if we remember all the notes of a kalimba clearly. Every note has its own pitch and a unique sound. Remember to hold the kalimba gently and not to block the sound holes if you have a resonance type kalimba. If you cover the soundhole with your fingers, you will alter the resonant characteristics of the box. Once you have learned to pluck tines properly to create a rich, resonant sound, you can move on to progressions of notes and chords.
Alternate between thumbs to pluck tines.
One of the most interesting aspects of the kalimba is that it isn’t quite like a standard musical instrument, say a piano, where all the notes go up in order from left to right. Kalimba notes alternate, increasing progressively in pitch from the center of the instrument.
To begin with, you need to understand the range of the instrument. You can do this by plucking the tines individually with alternating thumb movements from the center outward.
Pluck two adjacent tines to play a chord.
If you pluck any of the two tines that are right by each other, they will be a third apart. Plucking any two tines beside each other plays a chord. Use your thumb to pluck both tines at the same time.
Combine notes and chords to play your own melody.
And you’re done with the basics! Play around and experiment with different chords and notes to create your own Kalimba songs. You can also check out the windshield Wiper’s method, in which you move your two thumbs left and right at the same time.
How much does a kalimba cost?
You will get a great kalimba around 40-50 $. But some medium-range kalimba starts at 29$. I suggest go for 40$ up range kalimba like GECKO kalimba 17 keys thumb piano. Because those don’t distuned as the normal range kalimba does.
Which Kalimba Is Right For Me?
There are many sorts of Kalimbas, a bit like there are many sorts of musicians. So, it’s important to form the proper pairing between them.
For instance, you would possibly just be venturing into music for the primary time and have decided to start out out with the Kalimba. If this is often the case, then you ought to get a budget instrument. you ought to consider something which will tutor you within the basic rudiments of music. Then upgrade when you’re ready.
Kalimbas that have between 5 notes and 12 notes are an honest place to start out.
If, however, you’ve been playing another instrument for a short time, then you don’t get to start from scratch. rather than going for five to 12 note Kalimbas, you’ll jump straight into 15-note, 17 note, or maybe a 2-octave Kalimba. Your background in music will assist you navigates them pretty easily.
Now, for the skilled, your options are tons broader, of course. you’ll choose a 15-note or a 17-note Kalimba. And if you’re feeling ambitious, you’ll even choose the chromatic Kalimba. With these instruments, you’d be ready to write and compose all types of genres of music. These include folk, rock, classical, funk, etc.
Now, that that’s sorted, let’s move on…
What is the best brand of kalimba?
Every Kalimba production company trying to make the best kalimba in your budget. But there is always a fact that the best quality means a higher price. But how much higher. We can make an assumption by seeing the seller on amazon.
These two models are so popular. You can see the customer feedback on amazon. These are popular so because everybody can buy within their budget and also the product quality is up to the mark.
What Is Kalimba?
It’s really a metallic tongued tool which descends from Africa. Which goes back into the lamella phone spouse and children. That is classified as being a plucked idiophone.
Normally they possess African American design. And act as being a bass accompaniment into some bird. That contains two levels of tongues (or even lamella) and plays with a broader selection. So thus equipped to select the melody lineup.
The metallic tines are mounted on a box. Using a hollow to match the noise and also enhance it. In an identical manner acoustic-guitar, human anatomy will not. The enclosure will probably frequently possess a resonator to aid.
The jelqing variant is made from the 1950’s modern-day. Kalimbas are connected to a diatonic scale (broadly speaking in doing). So, it does not have any sharps or apartments. Such as for instance a chromatically tuned instrument like a piano.
Even the originals experienced tens of thousands of various types of tuning. Since these certainly were made and trained rather than person-to-person. They’re employed for all from storytelling for rain and ceremonial use.
If one secret is plucked the next notes can even pick the vibration up. That creates complicated harmonics very similar to an over-tone or pitch of the guitar series. Thus giving it rather distinctive audio.
The design and vital design signify with just a tiny bit of know-how. You’re able to certainly learn how to play with many structures of music. Using comparative relief possibly in projection or fifths.
How it’s 17 tongues/tines (some times 10 or even 26). Implies you may even play with a complete Dorian scale D. That really is just a musical style relationship back into the medieval phase with a rather scenic quality for it. Even the Dorian scale D includes no more sharps or apartments.
How to play the kalimba?
Since explained the present-day marimba is quite straightforward to perfect. You hold the enclosure amongst every one your hands together. Along together with your palms and departing the elbows lose to proceed.
- Carter, Nicolas (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 224 Pages - 03/17/2018 (Publication Date) - CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (Publisher)
You stipulate that the tongues at a motion. By means of your thumbs, one particular forget covering each and every 1 /2 the tool.
Even the back part of this kalimba enclosure. Commonly includes two bigger sound pockets that might be could be addressed. From the palms to alter the Length of this carton and make different design attributes.
What to Look for When Buying a Kalimba?
Since you will have noticed modern kalimbas are all very similar to 17 keys. From the internationally recognized key to doing that they are about the same dimensions. And nearly all are trapezoidal or rectangular.
- Sarek, Ondrej (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 94 Pages - 11/11/2017 (Publication Date) - CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (Publisher)
You ought to look for good quality tonewoods like the timber and Koa designs we have highlighted. Some less expensive versions are made from layered plywood. Which just doesn’t always have the exact resonant qualities.
Even the tongues ought to be curved (most are) being a perfectly right one may damage your thumbs. If you play with them for an extended length of time.
It’s important to have a whole pruning hammer after time under the strain. Of frequent thumbing, the tines can proceed and change toss the briefer. The time the higher the pitch that the longer. The reduced thus as they proceed nominally. It could alter the important thing over a lengthy duration of use.
A pruning hammer can be an essential accessory for keeping your tongues in balance. It is relatively user-friendly with aid from a pruning app. Nevertheless, it will take a neutral little bit of endurance to the faucet. Either end according to how sharp or flat the keys are all really sounding.
Some Final Thoughts
The variety of kalimbas in the market is fairly limited. With many Kalimbas the greatest differences appear to be decorative.
Together with the wisdom and know-how from the tailored guidebook. You should have the ability to catch a glimpse of a half-decent alternative whatever your financial plan.
The kalimba is actually a delightful sounding tool using a fantastic tradition. That takes time and energy to master how to play with it’s an excellent starter tool. And contains a few fab dulcet tones.
They charge very small, although the most more expensive ones really are well inside. The realms of potential, therefore, why don’t you move up ahead of time and decide to try out one. You may not be dissatisfied.
Which kalimba is best for you?
It’s difficult to say that which one is kalimba is right for you. The musical instrument needs to make a pair with your soul. Kalimba has 5 notes to 12 notes. Those are great to start.
It’s wise in case your financial plan allows picking for you using. A great protective case to be sure it stays safe and sound. Even the lamella is more likely to sew along with also a couple collapses in the incorrect place. Could transform the secrets that could signify you’re constantly beating back them right into a song.
These are the best kalimba to buy out of the market now. Thank you to read the full article.